“A human being is part of the whole, called by us “universe”, a part limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty… We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if mankind is to survive.” — Albert Einstein


Monday, September 29, 2008

A Breath of Air

Stanford entering class of 2008

Well I made it through my first set of finals, and as far as I can figure, I passed them all.  I worried a little going into school that I may have forgotten how to study and that it would take a while to get back into it.  I think that really what happened is that being out of school for so long I forgot how not to study, a skill (or habit) that will no doubt come back.  With the amount of material we have though, and the unease I felt with taking tests again, I started studying for these tests weeks in advance.  Not a bad way to do it, I even got a full nights sleep before each final (though a "full night sleep" has been redefined since I have been here).  Hopefully I can keep it up.

Anyway, we finished our first mini-quarter of core course work on Friday and had the weekend to enjoy life outside of class.  And when I say outside of class, I mean the only class we had this weekend was a 5 hour CPR training.  Regardless, I enjoyed my weekend immensely.  Went to the grocery store, washed my car, (neglected my laundry again, I think I can hold out until next weekend . . . ) and just generally relaxed.  I even got to have dinner with some friends from off campus (thanks for coming down Carolyn and Eddie) and hosted a game night at my place with some fellow game lovers.  I also finally took some photos of my place here for anyone who is curious to see where I am living.  

Now we are back to it.  The weekend ended and we are starting into a new set of classes.  This quarter we are taking Developmental Bio, Genetics, continuing Anatomy, Ethics, Stats, and clinical skills.  I also have several elective courses that I am excited about and hopefully I will come up with something this quarter to start my research project.

Sorry for the boring blog today, I'm sure I'll have something much more engaging to share once we get into classes again.  I do have one piece of news though;  I got my feedback from my standardized patient today and it turns out that the hand washing mishap was not such a disaster.  Direct quote "I felt confident when you washed your hands when you left the room figuring you had done so before you shook my hand in the last encounter you might have had."  Awe, that was awfully kind of her to assume . . . :)

No comments: