“A human being is part of the whole, called by us “universe”, a part limited in time and space. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty… We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if mankind is to survive.” — Albert Einstein


Sunday, August 24, 2008

SWEAT (Stanford Wilderness Experience Active Orientation Trip)

It turns out that I LOVE Stanford Medical School. Granted, classes havent started yet, but I have gotten a taste and I am excited for the rest. I have yet to meet all of my class members, but so far I feel right at home. It is still hard to believe sometimes that I am here, and sometimes when I hear about all the amazing things my classmates have done and are doing I have to remind myself that other peoples lives almost always seem more interesting. Someone thought I belong in this group; I hope they are right.

Last week we started orientation with a three day camping trip to get to know our classmates. We split into groups of about twelve based on the level of difficulty we were hoping for and hiked out into the mountains with packs on our backs and high hopes for the next 5 years. From the moment we climbed in the car together I knew I would get along just fine; from "Thrust and Perry" to "GHOST" to "Mind Trap"-like riddles (along with good conversation) we entertained each other the entire 5 hour drive to the trailhead. This continued on the trail as we hiked up and down ridges, over streams and through trees to reach our campsite.

I wont say much about the camping except to say the scenery was beautiful, the lake was spectacular, and in California you can sleep out under the stars without worrying about rain. After three days we hiked back out to our cars much more tired, much dirtier and much better friends than we had gone in. After a quick rendezvous at a campground with the rest of the group, we returned to the Stanford campus for a much needed shower and a day to get settled before the real orientation started.

Photos on my picasa site

No comments: